Make your own free website on

Home    Contact    Message Board 


The Power From > News > 2002 > Reviews > Rd 15 Sydney v Port

· Home
· Email Me
Power Links
· Fixture
· Results
· Injury List
· Players SANFL clubs
· Team List
· Leading Goal Scorers
· Photos
· Best & Fairest
· Brownlow Votes
· Merv Agars Medal
· Club Song
· Mobile Ringtone
AFL Links
· Fixture
· Results
· Ladder
· Win/Loss Ladder
· Ladder Calculation
· Best & Fairest
· Draft
· Brownlow Medal
· Wizard Cup Fixture
· Mobile Ringtones
Port Magpie Links
· Fixture
· Results
· 2002 Gains/Losses
· Magarey Medallists
· Mobile Ringtone
· Fixture
· Results
· Ladder
· Win/Loss Ladder
· Ladder Calculation
· Links
Supporter Links
· Live Scoreboard
· Free Email
· Discussion Lists
· New Message Board
· Old Message Board
· Chat Room
· P.A. Supporters Club
· Supporter Groups
Other Links
· Footy Links
My Other Sites
· Net Guide
· For Free


Macca's Power Review - Rd 15 Sydney v Port at SCG

Jared Poulton has become the hero of Port Adelaide today after kicking a goal after the siren to win the game by 4 points. Poulton marked the ball 45 metres out with 20 seconds left on the clock, and slotted the goal through. It was heart breaking for the Swans as 10 seconds earlier, Barry Hall had kicked a goal which put the Swans in front.

Both teams started the match shaky in front of goals, kicking 10 points between them in the first quarter. Sydney took control in the second quarter as Port seemed to go to sleep and couldn't find an avenue to attack. Warren Tredrea was well held by Saddington and Dunkley in the first half and Peter Burgoyne and Stewy Dew hardly had a kick by halftime. Stephen Doyle was causing some problems for Ports defence, kicking 2 first half goals before going off injured. It again seemed like Port were getting caught in the confined spaces of the SCG. Port were allowed no space in their forward 50 metres which caused them to turnover the ball many times. Nick Stevens was having a great game in the centre in the first half, having our most possessions at half time, as well as Darryl Wakelin who wore Barry Hall like a glove. Chad Cornes was finding a lot of the ball and seemed very confident. 

Sydney kicked the opening goal of the second half, increasing their lead to 19 points, and it seemed like they could run away with the game, but Port fought their way back into it. Tredrea started to get his hands on the football and had a fantastic third quarter, kicking a goal and taking a number of marks. Josh Francou came into the game and along with the ruck work of Primus, started to get the ball out of the centre. Peter Burgoyne put his hand forward in helping Port get back in the game by kicking 2 third quarter goals. Matty Primus kicked an inspirational goal and when Brendon Lade soccered through a goal Port had hit the front by 3 points.

Port seemed to have the match in control throughout the last quarter, building up a 14 point lead with only 5 minutes to go after Chad Cornes kicked a goal from the goal square. But Sydney were not done with yet as Paul Williams booted a long goal a few moments after Cornes' goal. Scott Stevens slotted through a goal after a mark and the game was back in the balance. Sydney attacked a number of times in the last 5 minutes but could not get a break until Barry Hall kicked his only goal for the game with 30 seconds left. The game seemed over for Port Adelaide. But similar to the Carlton game in 2000, Primus won the ball out of the ruck and a quick kick from Schofield found a free Jared Poulton 45 metres out with 19 seconds left. He kicked the goal and the rest is history!! 

There weren't many standouts for Port. Francou, who was quiet in the first half was brilliant in the last, getting a number of clearances and some crucial touches. Tredrea was another who came into the game in the last half. Nick Stevens had a strong first half before falling away in the last. Chad Cornes and Darryl Wakelin were Port's best. Cornes, playing in defence for some of the game, had a lot of the ball and took some very strong marks. He created a target to go to when Tredrea was being well held in the first half. Darryl Wakelin kept Barry Hall to minimal impact for the whole game. Hall's only goal came 30 seconds from the end.

Sydney had a few standout performers. Saddington had a fantastic first half on Tredrea, beating him in the air on more than a couple of occasions and providing some run from half back. Paul Williams and Daryn Cresswell were strong in the midfield throughout the game. Scott Stevens presented himself up forward, as did Adam Goodes.

Port have now won a club record 8 in a row and are still a game clear on top of the AFL Ladder. We face a tough match against the Kangaroos next week - a team the Power have never defeated in the AFL. If the Power can defeat them then it will go a long way in proving that Port are good enough this season to win a final.



This site is developed and maintained by V Lee
Copyright 1998 - 2002 [ThePowerFromPort]. All rights reserved.
Revised:  Sunday, 14 July 2002